If you’re one of those people who thinks their grandma could do anything, you’re not alone.
As years pass and technology progresses, we humans have adapted to fit in the modern environment by learning new skills and techniques like efficient use of smartphones and computers, for example.
In the process, however, many old, traditional skills were forgotten. Can you think of any such long-lost skill that you still remember even though people around you may not even know about it any longer?
Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your friends to see their answers!
While we let you think about your life skills, here are some that used to be essential to our societies before they were replaced and, in many places, forgotten altogether.
- Knitting and crocheting used to be a staple skill in many households and could often mean the difference between being cold and warm in the winter.
Nowadays, however, clothing of all kinds and prices is widely available and most young people feel no need to learn or practice these skills.
- Using phone books and even remembering various phone numbers was a must before mobile phones arrived.
Remember those big, fat books that every house had? They’re a thing of the past now that all of our essential numbers are neatly saved in our smart devices.
- Canning, jamming, and pickling were techniques we often resorted to in order to keep our stomachs full during long winters and to preserve fruits and vegetables rather than letting them go bad.
Sadly, these popular skills are no longer popular among younger generations as everything you could possibly need can be bought at the local supermarket.
- Sewing and mending, similar to knitting and crocheting, is also a dying art with consumers often resorting to replacing damaged clothes rather than buying new ones.
Since making clothes from the start also takes a lot of time and resources, most people also don’t see the need to sew their own clothes while already having a hectic schedule.
- Calligraphy refers to visual art also known as the art of beautiful handwriting.
Though a valuable skill, most of us do little to no writing by hand at all now that letters are a thing of the past and digital forms of expression and communication have taken over.
Do you remember any other long-lost skills that most people don’t practice anymore? Let us know in the COMMENTS and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your friends!